Auto Draft

Eyneburg Castle

Belgian Castles

Auto Draft

Eyneburg Castle, locally also known as Emmaburg, lies in a forest south of the town of Neu-Moresnet, in the Liège province in the Wallonia region in Belgium.

Eyneburg Castle was built somewhere in the 13th century above the valley of the Geul river and was owned by the knights of Eyneburghe. Its local name; Emmaburg, goes back to a legend, which originated in the 19th century, that says that in this castle, Emma, a daughter of Charlemagne, met her lover Einhard, a biographer of Charlemagne.

During the 15th century the castle first went to the Bongaert family and later to the Tzevel family. Through marriage the castle went to the Donraedt family in the 16th century.

In 1640 Eyneburg Castle was largely destroyed by fire but subsequently rebuilt. In the following centuries the castle changed hands many times.

In 1897 Eyneburg Castle was bought by Theodor Nellessen, a fabric merchant from Aachen. He ordered a large restoration, carried out by the architect Louis Arntz, which gave the castle its present neo-Gothic appearance. In 1958 the Nellessen family sold the castle and put its complete interior up for auction. At present the castle is owned by a recreational company.

At present Eyneburg Castle is closed because of judicial problems over ownership and security and seems to stand empty. Visits used to be possible. Hopefully it will open again in the future. Its exterior looks promising.

Update! Eyneburg Castle is now for sale! For only € 2.800.000. Info and pictures here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *