Aspremont-Lynden Castle, locally known as Kasteel d’Aspremont-Lynden, lies in the center of the village of Oud-Rekem, in the province of Limburg in the Flemish region in Belgium.
The first castle at this site dates back to the 10th century. This was a motte castle. Around 1350 the first castle was replaced by a new oval-shaped castle. That second castle was inhabited until 1507 after which it fell to ruin.
Around 1595 the third castle was built, on the foundations of its predecessor, by Count Herman d’Aspremont-Lynden in the style of the Mosan-Renaissance.
In 1792 Aspremont-Lynden Castle was claimed by the French and used as a military hospital until 1795. After that large parts of the castle were torn down. The remaining parts were used as an institute for beggars until 1890. From 1891 until 1904 it was then used as a re-education home for boys.
Following a drastic renovation the castle was used as a state psychiatric institution until 1974. After that the castle changed hands several times. One of the owners even wanted to install a cinema in the cellars. At present a lack of funding is halting further restoration, historical research and exploitation. It is now intermittently used for exhibitions and such.
At present Aspremont-Lynden Castle can only be visited when there is a exhibition being held. There is also a restaurant in the gate building.