Trazegnies Castle, locally known as Château de Trazegnies, lies in the village of Berzée, in the province of Namur in the Wallonia region in Belgium.
It is not to be confused with its namesake in Trazegnies, in the province of Hainaut also in the Wallonia region in Belgium.
Not much is known about the early history of Trazegnies Castle. The first castle at this site was probably built in the 12th or 13th century. Only the base of the square keep is said to date back to that earliest time.
Before the 15th century the square keep, the round corner towers and the curtain walls were built by the Berzée family. From the 15th century on the castle passed through the hands of first, the Oultremont family and later the Berlo family. Later the castle was destroyed during regional wars after which it fell to ruin. It stayed a ruin for 75 years until the beginning of the 17th century.
Then it came into possession of Charles de Namur who made the castle his main residence. He rebuilt the castle; new facades were built out of brick and stone, the keep and towers were restored, giving it its present appearance. Four generations of the Namur family lived here.
Later the castle passed to the Trazegnies family and although they did not alter the castle it now bears their name.
Today Trazegnies Castle is owned by the Piret family who restored the castle in the 1930’s.
At present Thy-le-Château Castle is private property and can not be visited.
A nice rural castle. Too bad it can not be visited.