Logne Castle, locally known as Château Fort de Logne, lies above the hamlet of the same name, in the Liège province in the Wallonia region in Belgium.
The site of Logne Castle; a 60 m high spur between the Ourthe and Lembrée rivers, has probably been fortified as early as the 5th century when it defended the Roman lands against marauding Germanic tribes.
The earliest mention of a fortification here was in 862 AD as a fortified refuge for the monks of the Abbey of Stavelot. Here they kept the relics of St. Remacle during Norman invasions. In the early 12th century, under the rule of the abbot Wibald, the territory of Logne became a county in the Principality of Stavelot-Malmedy. Logne Castle was strengthened considerably and became the fortress that defended the western border of the principality.
In 1427 the castle was sold to the House of La Marck. They let the castle fall into disrepair and it became a robbers’ den. At the end of the 15th century an outer bailey was added to the castle and it was modernized to withstand the progress of artillery. At the beginning of the 16th century it was again adapted to the advances of artillery.
In 1521 it was besieged and taken by the troops of Charles V, the Holy Roman Emperor. He had the castle completely dismantled afterwards and it stayed a ruin ever since. Locals then used the ruins as a stone quarry.
In the early 20th century the ruins were ‘rediscovered’ and archaeological excavations and consolidation works started. There are several subterranean rooms and passages.
At present Logne Castle can be visited for a small fee. A great castle ruin, especially in combination with the caves.