Hodoumont Castle, locally known as Château d’Hodoumont and sometimes also wrongfully spelled as Houdemont, lies west of the hamlet of Goesnes, in the province of Namur in the Wallonia region in Belgium.
When exactly Hodoumont Castle was built is unknown. Around 1200 the manor of Goesnes depended on the Principality of Liège. It was defended by, amongst other fortifications, the Hodoumont Tower. This is the square keep we see today, with walls up to 2 meters thick. Around 1300 a residential building with 3 round corner towers was added to the keep, flanked by a chapel and a fortified farm. The entire complex was circled by a moat, of which the present pond is a remnant.
In 1763, the castle came into the possession of Charles Dauvin, Lord of Burdinne. He had the castle rebuilt into its present appearance.
At present Hodoumont Castle is private property and can not be visited. A nice simple castle in a pastoral setting.